As far as I can remember, Sunday always equal "Go to Church". My Roman Catholic mother taught us well about how to spend the first day of the week, and there was no question about whether we’d like to do it or not. Having come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ and desiring to do His Will, going to church has become an even more significant part of living the Christian Life.
Last Christmas Sunday at the Nonthaburi Christian Fellowship, we were privileged to hear God’s message from Pastor Rob Bowen on Why We Go to Church (and what it implies if we don’t). If one desires to do the will of God, there are five things one must do: Read the Bible, Pray, GO TO CHURCH, Give, and Share the Word. Today, we will look closely on one aspect of doing the will of God.
Why Go to Church:
- To follow the Biblical pattern. (I. Cor. 4:2)
- If you don’t go to church on Sundays, it means you are of the world (2 Cor. 6:14) – the Lord says, Come out from among them!
- To receive nourishment. (I Peter 2:2)
- If you don’t go to church, you will not receive nourishment and the strength that you need to grow and live spiritually.
- To fellowship with other believers. (Acts 2:14ff)
- If you are not with other believers on Sunday, then you’re with unbelievers, with whom we should have no fellowship (Eph. 5:11) especially on the Lord’s Day. The danger in this is that: ”Evil communications corrupt good manners” (I Cor. 15:33)
- To express thankfulness. (Luke 17:11ff)
- If you are not in church, then you’re probably one of the ungrateful ones (2 Tim. 3:1,2)
- To desire a better life. (Matt. 11:28-30)
- If you’re not in church, then you’re probably living a life of sin. (Prov. 13:15)
- To avoid sin. (James 4:17)
- “Be sure your sin will find you out” (Numbers 32:23).
- To make the right decision. (Joshua 24:15)
- If you’re not in church, you might be making the wrong decisions (Joel 3:14).
- To express our love for God by obedience. (Heb. 10:25)
- “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (John 14:15)
- To profess our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. (Matt. 10:32)
- If you’re not in church, you must be ashamed to be associated with Him and His people (Mark 8 :38).
- To make us a better servant of God. (Luke 4:12)
- If you have been an unfaithful servant, then “Blood will be required” (Ezek. 33:7-9)